Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Bonjour! So I thought that maybe I would try out blogging (since everyone around me is doing it) as a sort of way of keeping track of what I do around here and how I'm feeling about living in Dakar. It's crazy that today is only the second day here, but as they explained to us, we're in the 'honeymoon' phase right now. All of the students are still living together, but that will change on Friday when we move into our host families. I am very apprehensive about doing it, but its part of the experience, so I guess I just have to be ready for anything. Today we learned some Wolof, which is only the tip of the iceberg of what we will be learning. Apparently a lot of the kids catch onto it really well, so I am excited by that prospect, of learning a totally new language. We also had some security briefings. Moral of the story- dont walk alone, dont stay out too late, dont show any of your money, and if someone tries to steal your purse- let go!!! I feel pretty comfortable about it all, but it is very interesting being such a target here, and there is no getting around how much you totally stand out. The people in the area (we are on the outskirts of Dakar, not in the middle of downtown) know that the students come here, so its not as though they are shocked by our presence, but they are very aware of it. There are other students here, West African students who are learning English and hopefully going on to University in the states. Its a very big deal for them, and we are going to hang out with them and speak English and French with them. It promises to be a very cool experience. We also had our french placement test today, which was easy, plus an oral with one of the professors. He seemed very impressed with my french and asked if my writing was as good. I didnt lie and say yes, but nonetheless I think that I did well.
In general the school here is nice, and I like the setting. We are only a short walk from the ocean, where we went today, and sat in the sand and listened to the ocean and watched locals play footbal (gotta say it here, its not soccer!). There are some very friendly boys here! Also interesting is that there were no girls on the beach. It wasnt awkward for us to be there, it is just clear that the men and women stay pretty seperate from one another.
The food at the school is really good, and a well rounded meal. Also the fruits and veggies they provide us with here (and at our homestays) are bleached and safe for us to eat, which is good because I was concerned about having to turn away food. It is some tasty food!!!
Probably the best part about being here is just how much french I've gotten to speak so far. So much around me, and so many of the other American students are so excited about speaking french. Definetly a difference from when I was in Cannes and we spoke mostly English amongst ourselves. There is definetly a sense of camraderie amongst all of us because we are in such a unique situation and need to bond and be there for one another in every sense. All of these experioences are new for all of us, so we have at least one thing in common. I've already made some good friends, and I'm sure that more are on the way.
It's time for dinner now, but I'll write more soon!

No comments: