Thursday, February 1, 2007

Little update on life

The past few days have been pretty chill here in Dakar. Not to say that its not very hot and windy (which means lots of sand blowing up in my face). It's been mostly going to classes and hanging out. Classes are going well and I think that they will be very interesting. The only downside is that some professors can get very repetitive, and for students that have been recently sick they repeat the whole lecture, which is a waste of a day. I hope it doesnt happen too often. Regardless I think that they're going to be really informative.
My Wolof is progressing bit by bit and hopefully will start catching on soon. I really need to be able to use it at my house and so any sentence I can come up with is an achievement. I just have problems responding to people's questions- I get sort of stuck. I'm going to keep persisting though!
This weekend I have a fun trip planned with a few friends up to Saint Louis, which is in Northern Senegal, and is supposed to be awesome. I'll give a full recounting of what it is like, but I'm sure it will be an adventure since this will be a venturing without the whole group. But that's the fun of it all!
Also, I handed over one of my fabrics that I bought in the market to get made into a dress. I showed a (really bad) drawing of what I wanted to my Aunt, she took my measurements and said that she thought she knew what I wanted. Lo and behold, the next night, she had not one but TWO dresses for me to try on. There are some adjustments to be made still (the beauty of things getting tailored) but it was pretty exciting- especially since I was expecting one dress. She said that she would have them ready for me to have for this weekend. A great way to keep Flannery happy is through new clothes!
In other news, the impending Super Bowl was a concern for many of us Americans, but thankfully the embassy forwarded and email to our program director telling us that we are more than welcome to go to the Super Bowl party at the Marine House, which isn't too far from where we live. Granted, it won't start until 11pm, but it will be so worth it! I can't possibly miss a Chicago team in something like this. It will cap off a very long weekend, that is for sure.
Off I go to one more class, and then it's weekend time!!!!

No comments: